[GNC] Disappearing entries

Carl Look at iPadRing.net
Thu Jun 18 14:40:46 EDT 2020

   Well, as it was supposed to happen, all worked out well.  Just changed
   the biggest file or the one named below to some generic file name.  It
   works fine....so far.
   Thanks, all,
   Carl

   From: D. [[1]mailto:sunfish62 at yahoo.com]
   Subject: [GNC] Disappearing entries
   Date: Thursday, June 18, 2020, 2:34 PM
   To: Carl
   Cc: Michael Hendry; Gnucash Users

Hard to say how bad this is. I'd start with the newest data file (by modificatio
n date) that does NOT include the 14-digit timestamp, and see what was there. Th
at may or may not be the file named "GC January 12 2019.gnucash". More likely it
's newer ("GC January 15 2020.gnucash", for example).

You would then be able to tell how many different times you opened a backup by s
eeing how many log files were created after that last file. Working on a spare c
opy of that last file, you could try running the log files dated afterward to re
create the work. This may or may not work, depending on whether you changed the
account structure. If it works, great. If not, you'll have to recreate the trans
actions manually.

I avoid this problem by only having one simply named basic data file in my data
directory (in my case, "accounts.gnucash"). Backups and dated storage copies get
 placed in remote folders to keep the idiot from screwing things up (which he is
 very good at!).

David T.