[GNC] Tax tables changing

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Sat Jun 20 08:59:05 EDT 2020

Hi,

On Sat, June 20, 2020 6:55 am, finfort at gmail.com wrote:
> I have renamed some of taxtables and see the same old names in my bills
> and invoices.
>
> I also see a lot of records with the same taxtable names in Postgresql
> table "taxtables".
>
> Could some body explain the logics of this table? What is "parent" in it?

If you search the archives I'm sure you'll find I've gone through this in
excruciating detail in the past.

In short, Tax Tables get frozen when an invoice is posted.  And future
changes to the Tax Tables introduce a Copy-on-Write semantic.

The reasoning is that if you post an invoice in 2018 with a 2% tax and
then in 2019 that tax changes to 3%, if in 2020 you need to revisit that
2018 invoice you want it to display with 2% tax, not 3% tax.  So to solve
this problem the tax tables are frozen on posting.  When you unpost an
invoice with tax-table associations it asks you whether you want to keep
the taxes or "unfreeze" them (I forget the terminology). I.e., if you
unposted that 2018 invoice and told it to unfreeze, then it would change
those taxes from 2% to 3% and the values would change when you re-posted
the invoice.  Sometimes this may be what you want (e.g. to correct an
error in the tax table), but sometimes it may NOT be what you want (e.g.
to correct a typing error).

The "parent" is a pointer from the frozen tax table to the non-frozen one.
 So when the 2018 invoice is posted, it freezes and when you change it in
2019 you get a parent/child relationship between them.

Hope this helps!

> Thank you,
>
> Dimon.

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745