[GNC] Balances of sub-accounts included in higher-level accounts

Peter Bowers pbowers at pobox.com
Sat Jun 20 10:00:44 EDT 2020

I am a renewed user of gnucash (used it 10-15 years ago) for my personal
use and am setting up my account list.

I use multi-currency primarily for 2 currencies: ALL and USD. My primary is
USD.

I want to set up my expense accounts like this:

Expenses:Auto:Fuel-USD
Expenses:Auto:Fuel-ALL
Expenses:Groceries-USD
Expenses:Groceries-USD:Groceries-ALL

Then when I enter something in Fuel-ALL or Groceries-ALL *I'd like to
automatically see this in the corresponding (parent) USD account*.

I recognize that with changing currency values this is an inexact science
(unless gnucash is smart enough to use an exchange rate from the date of
the transaction?) but since I'm using it for tracking personal expenses
it's not too big a deal to me.

My difficulty is that "automatically see this in the corresponding (parent)
USD account". I'd like to be able to do this in transaction reports, budget
reports, etc AND in the register (with a running balance) if possible.

As another use case of these sub-accounts being shown in the parent
account...

In our savings account we have several "virtual" accounts for longer-term
savings (saving for car insurance, saving for car repair, etc.). Sometimes
we want to see the bank account with these sub-accounts excluded (we don't
want to spend the money that we have intentionally set aside) but other
times we want to just see a normal register with ALL transactions in that
bank account.

Is there any way to switch this on/off?

-Peter