[GNC] Guidance request.

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Mon Jun 22 19:14:02 EDT 2020

James,

I’ll tackle a few of those for you. (not necessarily by your same point list)

First - 2.4 is several versions old. You’ll need to first install something from 2.6 (the next major version after 2.4), open your data file with it, and perform Check & Repair. Repeat this for one of the 3.x releases. (version number scheme changed w/3.x) Then do so again with 4.x. Always work on or with a backup data file of course.

Second - You asked about a 4.0 beta, that is 3.906 which is a testing release, but is effectively (per the announcement) a release-candidate barring any major issues.

Third - For documentation, there is a Help and a Tutorial & Concepts guide on the website, along with a Wiki. The wiki fills in some gaps in the official documentation and has some use-case advice. (as well as detailed instructions for building on Linux) You can install/build the two official docs on linux. See the build instructions on the wiki for more info. (they come with the Win version package, and I thought Mac as well, but I’ve never been able to get them to open from the app on Mac. I just visit the web version if I need them.)

Fourth - Syncing is being done by some users via their own file server or a 3rd party like Drop Box. Note, there is no mechanism in place to prevent 2 people from opening the same data file at the same time other than a warning dialog. But if you’re the only one accessing it and you just want to make it portable but in one physical place, then that shouldn’t be an issue. Maybe look over a few threads here about doing this first, at least to see if there are any hiccups or issues to be aware of.

Fifth - Backups are of course, on your own. Certainly rsync would work. I personally use BackInTime on my Linux systems. I like that it is somewhat similar to TimeMachine on my Mac which I prefer over other solutions I’ve tried through the years. Of course, rsync is a bit more ‘do it yourself’ but if you are running Gentoo, I don’t expect that to be a roadblock. I once played with Bacula but found it to be way too much for what I needed.

I’m not familiar with the GnuCash for Android app, and I’ve seen list threads discussing that it appears to be stalled or abandoned. You’d have to find their community and developers. It is a separate project from GnuCash.

Hope some of that helps,

Regards,
Adrien