[GNC] AppleCard OFX file

David Reiser dbreiser at icloud.com
Sun Mar 1 13:01:30 EST 2020

On Mar 1, 2020, at 12:46 PM, Keith Bellairs <keith at bellairs.org> wrote:

> Apple has added ability to export Apple credit card transactions in ofx
> format. When I tried to import their ofx file, ended up with an empty
> transaction matching window in gnucash. I think Apple's sgml ofx data is
> buggy. There is no closing tag  </CCACCTFROM> in the header info. I edited
> the ofx and added the tag. After that the gnucash import worked correctly
> in GNC 3.7 on my Mac.
>
> The corrected set of tags looks like this:
> <CCACCTFROM>
>     <ACCTID>Apple Card
> </CCACCTFROM>
>
> So that worked this month.
>
> Keith

That’s good to know. But notice that the ACCTID isn’t particularly unique. Since Apple/GS don’t allow joint accounts, my wife and I both have accounts. But both sets of ofx groups have the same ACCTID, meaning I’d have to edit/script modify one or both accounts each month before importing the data.

Ofx’s biggest advantage — FITID tags to easily identify duplicates — is rendered unimportant by another of Apple’s inflexibilities. Since you can only export a whole month at a time and always get the same transactions for a whole month, there’s never a chance of getting anything other than 0% or 100% duplicates.

Under the current system, I’ve found it easier to import the csv transaction data. I have one settings file for my data, and one for my wife’s. And I easily end up in the same transaction matcher in nearly the same time as for a well-formed ofx file.

Dave
--
Dave Reiser
dbreiser at icloud.com