[GNC] Transactions association to accounts (automatically)

David Cousens davidcousens at bigpond.com
Sun Mar 1 17:22:00 EST 2020

Stelvio,

Allowing transactions to be imported assigned to the Imbalnce account results in the import matcher not being trained to
match the correct account. It is better to assign the account and correct any account assignments GnuCash has made in
the Import Match window before importing , not in GnuCash after importing for this reason.. The A, U and R checkboxes
control and indicate whether a transaction is to be added, or cant be assigned with certainty or has been matched with
an existing transaction. The green backgound colours generally indicate  that a transaction is OK (either matches an
existing transaction or is to be imported and a transfer account has been assigned, the yellow gold normally indicates
that it is to be imported but an transfer account hasn't or can't be assigned and you should assign an account before
importing. The red backgound generally indicates a problem with matching two or more transactions already in GnuCash.
Red or Yellowgold mean you definitely have to intervene. Green are  generally OK. If the R is checked it means they
won't be important - the matcher can get it wrong so these need to be checked carefully. If A is checked with a green
background it will be imported to the account specified.  Evrytime you import to an incorrect account or to the
Imbalance account the matcher is being mistrained and incorrect data (as far as your desired assignment) is being stored
and will bias future decisions by GnuCash.

David  Cousens

On Sun, 2020-03-01 at 15:34 -0600, Stelvio Rosset wrote:
> David, thanks.
>
> I imported already 26 months transactions, so I think there should be
> already some learning by gnu-cash, on the other hand I never enjoyed this
> add-in.
>
> The way I am doing is to import all the transactions (import transactions
> from CSV), with well identified: date, description, transfer account,
> withdrawal, and note;
>
> Gnu-cash needs I specify the account, then I specify from the drop-down list
> as  Imbalance-EUR; in that way I will find all my transactions in the
> account Imbalance-EUR, and start then the association manually.
>
> Following this procedure I have not enjoy the auto-association of the
> account.
>
> Note: based on how I am acting, I was then asking the possibility of the
> auto-allocation after I have imported them into the Imbalance-EUR.
>
> Should I maybe follow a different path than the one described above?
>
> Thanks for help
> Stelvio
>

> --
Dr David R Cousens