[GNC] New User - Unique Transaction Number & Dates

Mardem demetriou_mar at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 2 03:55:42 EST 2020

Hello guys,

I have decided to give GnuCash a try for a small business that just started
to do the accounting (less than 20 transactions the 1st year).

The first thing that I noticed is that I cant have a unique number for each
transaction (that I will write on the hard copy i.e. invoice). This is very
strange to me being an accountant for 7 years now.

I also need to remember where I  have added my last transaction number in
order to continue from there since every time I click a new account I can
see the transactions related to that account.

How you guys tackle this problem?

Does the software have a place where I can see all the transactions I have
entered from number 1 to the last?

Another thing I noticed is that the software accepts any date (i.e. 2019,
2018). I have chosen in the preference that my accounting year is 01/01/2019
- 31/12/2019 but then I have added a transaction in 2018 without any problem
and then I couldn't see it in the Trial Balance. Is there a way to get a
pop-up to warn me when I add a transaction in a different year?

Overall the software provides some great features for free, but the unique
number per transaction its a big problem for me.

I would like to see how you deal with this problem.

Thank you,
Marinos