[GNC] How to install GnuCash from Source for Linux ?

David Cousens davidcousens at bigpond.com
Tue Mar 3 16:28:56 EST 2020

Jimmy

I don't have a script to build GnuCash but I do have a script for intalling the dependencies.
A build script wouldn't be too difficult to setup and could be pretty generic for all versions
of GnuCash. I do have scripts for development builds in a development environment with various options
on debugging etc but i have never set them up for building the stable version. It is pretty simple

Assume you are starting with an unpacked tarball ina directory gnucash-3.8 for system wide install in /usr/localwhich
has the sources in a subdirectory gnucash and are initially located in gnucash-3.8

mkdir build
cd build
cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr/local -DWITH_PYTHON=ON ..
make
sudo make install

If you need to do a rebuild for some reason change to the build directory then type
rm -rf *       #clears the previous build
cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr/local -DWITH_PYTHON=ON ..
make
sudo make install

You could put the commands in a these bash script and then run from the gnucash-3.x directory.

There are other options to cmake ( see cmake help and the breakout page on the build options in the wiki.

If you are doing a local install for a single user you
would substitute "/usr/local" with "$HOME/.local" in the above.

David Cousens