[GNC] Problem getting price quotes after upgrade

azalea4va bb at azalea.name
Sat Mar 7 00:52:29 EST 2020

I have been running gnucash on Linux Mint for years.  The guncash I am
running is version 3.7 that I built from source.  I recently upgraded to
Mint 19.3. On the new system I go into the price editor and click on "Get
Quotes", I get "Unable to retrieve quotes for these items:" and then all the
stocks I have configured to get quotes on are listed (eg, VBTLX).

I am currently have two partition running Mint 19.3.  I one, I just upgraded
from 19.1 to 19.3.  In the other I did a fresh install to 19.3.  Gnucash is
in a data partiton used by both versions of linux.  Get quotes runs fine in
the upgraded version but not in the fresh install version.  I even tried
recompiling gnucash on the new install system but that had no affect. I have
not found any logs that give any more information on why the price lookup
failed.

I wonder if in the fresh install I am missing a library (the source code
READMEs are as useful as they could be).  Here is a list of some apropos
installed packages on both systems:

aqbanking-tools/bionic libaqbanking-data/bionic libaqbanking-dev/bionic
libaqbanking35/bionic libaqbanking35-plugins/bionic
cmake/bionic-updates
cmake-data/bionic-updates
g++/bionic-updates
g++-7/bionic-updates
gir1.2-glib-2.0/bionic
gir1.2-spiceclientglib-2.0/bionic
libqt5glib-2.0-0/bionic
libspice-client-glib-2.0-8/bionic
libspice-client-glib-2.0-dev/bionic
libglib2.0-0/bionic-updates
libglib2.0-bin/bionic-updates
libglib2.0-cil/bionic
libglib2.0-cil-dev/bionic
libglib2.0-data/bionic-updates
libglib2.0-dev/bionic-updates
libglib2.0-dev-bin/bionic-updates
libglib2.0-doc/bionic-updates
libglib2.0-tests/bionic-updates
libglib2.0-dev/bionic-updates
libglib2.0-dev-bin/bionic-updates
libgtk-3-dev/bionic-updates
guile-2.2/bionic-updates
guile-2.2-dev/bionic-updates
guile-2.2-libs/bionic-updates
guile-2.2-dev/bionic-updates
libxml2/bionic-updates
libxml2-dev/bionic-updates
libxml2-utils/bionic-updates
libxml2-dev/bionic-updates
libxml2-utils/bionic-updates
gettext/bionic-updates
gettext-base/bionic-updates
liblocale-gettext-perl/bionic
libxslt1.1/bionic-updates
libxslt1-dev/bionic-updates
xsltproc/bionic-updates
libboost-all-dev/bionic
swig/bionic
swig3.0/bionic
libgtest-dev/bionic
google-mock/bionic
libwebkit2gtk-4.0-37/bionic-updates
libwebkit2gtk-4.0-37-gtk2/bionic-updates
libwebkit2gtk-4.0-dev/bionic-updates
libwebkit2gtk-4.0-doc/bionic-updates
aqbanking-tools/bionic
libaqbanking-dev/bionic
gwenhywfar-tools/bionic
libofx-dev/bionic
libsecret-1-0/bionic
libsecret-1-dev/bionic
python3-pytest/bionic
perl-doc/bionic-updates
libfinance-quote-perl/bionic

I have tried executing gnc-fq-update and gnc-fq-dump on both system but that
has not provided any insight because it fails on BOTH systems.  But I still
am able to get quotes on the upgraded 19.3 system.

If anyone has any insights, please share.