[GNC] GNC Equity and Retained Earnings not tracking together?

Christopher Lam christopher.lck at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 12:33:12 EDT 2020

The right answer will be to submit the Transaction Report to the
accountant, have him/her calculate the Retained Earnings and Shareholder
Distribution for you, then you pay your shareholders via Assets:Bank/Cash
-> Liability:Shareholder (and later Liability:Shareholder ->
Expenses:Shareholder Dividends I guess?)

I also think you'd close the books to an Equity:Retained Earnings account
rather than Liability:Retained Earnings. I think untold surprises will
arise if closing books to Liability.

IMHO Balance Sheet's Retained Earnings seems designed to be Net Income
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Net_income

That's all I know.