[GNC] How to track Family expenses ?

Long Phamhoanglongvn at outlook.com
Fri Mar 13 12:34:33 EDT 2020

Hello,

Thank for sharing your experience, i think i will create a book for each
person (or things, business). Because there are some "Things" wrong or not
good to use on 1 book.
i reread the wiki of GnuCash, and some threads on the internet, i saw :
1 - assume that : i have 2 assets for me and my wife, but expenses have 3
sub-accounts (me - my wife - family). By that way, i can't know exactly how
much net income for each person, Because "Expense:Family" have "Debit" from
2 persons.
2 - Like "Expense", Savings have the same problem, Balance sheet can not
"Balance" for each person.
=> for "1" and "2", the only way to get the correct report is you need to
include all person (or things) in the report.
3 - For "on the go", If one book for all things, there are a lot of accounts
to control. More work to do, and hard to choose account from GnuCash
Android.

Generally, 1 person = 1 book, 1 thing = 1 book, 1 business = 1 book. By that
way, i will know every things i want to know, and it's easier to have the
good look when i use Report funtions. I believe that there are much people
will thought like me.

By the way, I'm using spreadsheet for "Budget" and "Savings" (I think it's
the best, trust me, save your time, don't try to figure out how to use it in
GnuCash), Because there are some reasons, GnuCash can't manage good as i
thought. Of course i have posted some topics to ask about this, And no ways
to resolve.

If i'm going wrong, please tell me know, i will grateful for that.

Regards.