[GNC] How to track Family expenses ?

Long Phamhoanglongvn at outlook.com
Fri Mar 13 22:33:12 EDT 2020

Hello,

2 - What if my wife transfer some money to me ? in GnuCash, you will make a
transfer from "Assets:Wife" to "Assets:Me".
My assets will increase, Wife's Assets will decrease.
Balance sheet will show you your current assets balance, equity, liability.
By that way, my wife will wonder why her "Retained earnings" and Equity are
not Balance with Assets. She will ask herself : am i forgot to enter
transactions ? Remember what you said in the last comment, you choose only
"Person" for Balance Sheet Report.
So, To know what going on, i need to setting up Balance Sheet report for
whole persons, to get exactly report.

1 - it is a way to know, not a way to resolve problem.
What if, i need to export it to spreadsheet ? every month, i need to export
(or copy) 2 tables to know what exactly how much i spent ? More work for
each month.
What if, i need to keep P&L Report open to update my INCOME and EXPENSE
(Start & End for this month) ? I will see the incorrect value for whole
money i have spent, of course included my net income. and everyday i want to
know how much money left on my wallet, the first, look into my P&L, and
then, Look into Transactions Report, and then, take a calculator up, enter
the number, oh ... this is what exactly left on my wallet.

3 - Why you created every TOP ACCOUNTS for each Person, But don't want to
create each book for each person ? It's the same, but you included book 2
into book 1. By your way, that absolutely make your book more extreme
complex.
I assume that I (maybe everyone), Who controling their family finances will
know that, each person will have their "expenses - account - income...."
hierarchy account. Which mean everytime they want to change it (Name or Add
or Delete), That mean you need to export and edit that XML everytime they
changed. Your solutions make we more busy and spend more time to play with
it.
How about enter transactions ? What if we need to enter transactions into
GnuCash Desktop at the same time ? YES. you can not open your file at the
same time, you will going to READ ONLY if you do that.

Generally,
1 - you will have more work to do to know exactly how much money left on
your assets.
Balance sheet or income statement or ... = Wrong if you only choose which
person included in that report. For expenses, You need to use 2 tables to
know.

2 - you will have more work after import your report into spreadsheet.

3 - you will have more work after someone or yourself modified its account's
structure.
For each person have their own book, just export, then going to Android,
delete old book, add new book. Your eyes need to relax instead look into
that XML, and find out where are your structure accounts (There are 5 TOP
LEVEL ).

I always thinking like this, Software created for do the jobs and resolve
the problems for me. Not me resolve or do the jobs for it.
Very clearly that it's only good for 1 legal entity = 1 book.

I actuly don't think your solutions resolve the problems by the bright ways.
If i'm going wrong somewhere, please tell me know.

Thank you so much for helping me.
Regards.