[GNC] 1) How to "jump" to a date in ck register? 2) Form for writing a check? 3)finding checking transactions to apply to bills?

Fran_3 mailbox0600 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 16 19:06:49 EDT 2020

 1) Using Find to lookup a transactions by date range results in a split view of each transaction... is there a way to have this appear as the check register does with one transaction per line?

2) Entering a new random check at the bottom of the check register works but is a little tedious.
It would be nice to have a popup form accessible by a shortcut key to create a new random check... i.e. not a bill payment but just an incidental check for gas or some  local purchase.

3) I have 200 or 300 checking account transactions that were imported and now need to "assign as payment" but they are buried in a 1,000 plus other imported transactions that are incidental purchases that do not need to be "assigned as payment."

The problem is finding those checking transactions that do need to be "assigned as payment" without having to grind through all the other transactions in the register line by line.

Possibly I can export the check register as a csv file, import it into a spreadsheet, and come up with some search algorithm to mark them and then sort on that mark. I will explore that technique.

Also, for others doing large imports... in this case many bills were paid via credit or debit card so there is no check number. That occured to me half way through the import so I started coding a number in the check number field to indicate "Bill Payment" so with regards to those transactions, I should be able to find them and "assign as payment" quite easily.

Wish I had thought of that at the outset... 2020 hind site.
Thanks again for the help.

    On Monday, March 16, 2020, 6:17:04 PM EDT, Adrien Monteleone <adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net> wrote:

> On Mar 16, 2020 w12d76, at 4:53 PM, Fran_3 via gnucash-user <gnucash-user at gnucash.org> wrote:
>
> 1) If I want to jump to a place in the check register... as opposed to find a transaction... say I want to jump to 2-12-2019 and see transactions in that area... is there a way to do this other than grabbing the mouse and scrolling up and down the register?

Not that I’m aware of, but if it does exist, it will be covered in the Help document.

Not sure about Win or Linux, but on Mac CMD-Up or CMD-Down jumps up and down transactions rapidly. (you can also hold it down)

If you know you want to work within a certain date range, or starting or ending with one, you could use Edit > Filter. (or do a Find for dates)

> 2) Is the a form and a shortcut key for simply creating a new check as opposed to paying a bill?Other than going to the bottom ot the check register and entering it there?

If you mean to ‘Process a Payment’ to a bill or invoice, I don’t think so. There is a such a window (via the Invoice toolbar, or via Business > Customer/Vendor) but I don’t know how to bring it up via the keyboard. (again, check the Help file) Those shouldn’t be entered directly in a register anyway under normal circumstances, but that can be fixed if they already exist. (see below on #3)

The Action menu has a ‘Blank Transaction’ entry that will jump to the next open transaction. There is also a ‘Blank’ toolbar button that does the same thing. (a keyboard shortcut would be nice, allegedly on Mac, it is supposed to be CMD-Down, but it only moves one transaction rather than to the blank one)

> 3) I've imported a bunch of checking transactions in to gnuCash, many of which were bill payments. Now I have to find those transactions that have yet to be applied to pay a bill. Is there an easy way to do this?

The process for each one is to find it in the check register, right-click and choose ‘assign as payment’ then select the bill you want to assign it to, etc.

As for ‘finding’ them, that depends on what kind of info is entered into them. The Find facility is pretty useful if you have some common text or other info you can search on. Also, don’t forget the usefulness of an exclusionary search if that gets you a useable list that is more manageable.

Regards,
Adrien