[GNC] How to record Personal income tax ?

Eric H. Bowen eric at ehbowen.net
Thu Mar 19 12:40:21 EDT 2020

Disclaimer: I Am Not An Accountant. But this is what works for me:

At the end of the year, from my last pay stub and/or W-2 form, I take
all of the deductions from my paycheck and post them in my Income:Salary
account directed to the various categories (i.e., Expenses:Medical for
health insurance deductions, Expenses:Insurance for additional life
insurance premiums, Expenses:Taxes:Federal for income tax deducted and
Expenses:Taxes:FICA, :Medicare, etc. for the appropriate amounts. I date
these transactions as of December 31st. Yes, you could do it throughout
the year pay stub by pay stub, but...why?

Then I close my books for the year and figure my taxes. If I have any
additional tax liability it goes on the books in the year in which I pay
it...2020, for the 2019 taxes which I just completed filing. But, if I
receive a refund (and I did), I post it as a debit to the
Expenses:Taxes:Federal account and a credit to the Assets:Savings
account (or wherever it was paid to) again, in the year in which I
receive it.

As always, Your Mileage May Vary. But this seems to work for me----Eric.