[GNC] New User - Unique Transaction Number & Dates

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Fri May 1 10:27:06 EDT 2020

Hi Stan,

Sorry to respond to an old message, but I'm catching up on ~2 months of
mail when I was heads-down on other projects..

Stan Brown <the_stan_brown at fastmail.fm> writes:

> Threshold for Read-Only Transactions (red-line).
>
> I'm not sure why the developers thought it would be a good idea to do
> this as a number of days in the past instead of a date in the past, but
> they did. It means that if you want, say, to prevent yourself from
> accidentally changing something in last year's transactions, or
> accidentally entering a new transaction with last year's date, you have
> to change the red-line every single day that you use GnuCash.

The idea is that you probably never want to enter transactions more than
e.g. 90 days old.  The devs decided this is a more common desire than
"don't enter last year".  If you set a fixed date then you need to
remember to change it all the time, whereas with a days-setting you can
set it and forget it.

If you're someone who enters transactions once a year, then yes, this
might be a bit more problematic.  If you enter transactions once a week,
this makes much more sense.

Hope this explains the reasoning.

Enjoy!

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745