[GNC] import stock transaction amount and quantity from csv

Elias K Gardner zorkerz at gmail.com
Wed May 6 15:58:20 EDT 2020

I'm importing csv transaction files for my 401(k). The transactions in
gnucash go from USD in one account to stock in another. The csv file has
the *quantity* of stock, the *price* of the stock in USD, and the *amount*
of the transaction in USD.

After importing any two of these gnucash will figured out the third,
however, I would prefer to use the quantity and amount because I've found
the prices to be slightly inaccurate (due to rounding?) with every
financial institution's files I've used.

I can set the base account to the USD account and amount column to
withdrawal or the the base account to to the stock account and the quantity
column to deposit.

Either way the price column is ignored and ends up as 1. I don't see
options in the importer to set both the amount and quantity.

Here is an example of my CSV.
Date Security Fund Name Action Transaction Type Quantity Price Amount
05/01/2020 XXX XXX full name Buy trans. description 2.542 $37.54 $95.44

What am I missing? Is there a way to import both the amount and quantity?

Thanks for your insight