[GNC] Porting the Tutorial & Concepts Guide to ReadTheDocs.org

D. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Wed May 6 23:22:46 EDT 2020

Adrien,

Being a past member of group 1, I can vouch for the challenges that the current tool set presents. Some might even call me the poster child on how difficult it can be. It does meet numerous disparate needs, however.

Your group 2 users can and do contribute-- to the wiki and the user list. Remember that the GnuCash "culture" is to recommend reading the docs, check the wiki, and check the mailing list archives.

I agree that there are disconnects and gaps. For example, stuff seems to get into the wiki and never go any further-- and they often remain in the wiki long after the documents get updated. Similarly, mailing list threads rarely migrate. To me, this is where the significant disconnect lies: in the fact that ideas discussed here in the lists rarely go further to the wiki and the docs.

Underlying this, I think, is a sense that the docs are incomplete or inferior or outdated, and the best way to answer a problem is to ask on the lists. The tendency in the community is to reinforce this sense, unintentionally perhaps, by repeatedly answering basic questions in lengthy email threads, rather than either referring users to the existing documentation or by migrating the knowledge in those threads into the documentation. I know that you've been active in taking this on, and that the other Diligent Davids have been working to get major areas of the documentation updated, so all is not lost!

David T.
Former documentarian