[GNC] XML vs SQL data integrity question

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Thu May 7 13:18:00 EDT 2020

I used XML with Ubuntu for a few years then switched to SQLite. I rarely ever closed GC. Then I switched to Mac as my daily driver and I kept using SQLite but occasionally test XML for a spell if I’m trying to repeat a bug and rule out my backend choice. Over those 9-10 years, I think I’ve experienced and reported 3 crashes. Each of which was display related if I recall correctly. (all on Mac)

When first trying out 3.x I found a presentation issue with data using SQLite, though there was no real corruption in the file. That bug was quickly fixed for the next release.

Otherwise I haven’t had issues with crashes or the choice of backends. (I like SQLite for the instant save) I’ve never tried to run GC on Windows.

I understand you may have a good case for dual-boot, but if you are comfortable with Ubuntu already, perhaps run GC (still with uncompressed XML) in an Ubuntu VM for a while if you need Win10 for most daily work. At least then you can determine if you’re seeing the same issues and know if it is OS related or not. An alternative of course is the reverse and run Win10 in a VM and keep GC in your Ubuntu host. You can even keep your dual-boot setup doing either, or both. (and have a single common data partition where your GC file lives so you don’t even have to copy it back and forth between OSes or store it externally.)

Regards,
Adrien