[GNC] XML vs SQL data integrity question

GWB gwb at 2realms.com
Thu May 7 18:47:45 EDT 2020

Have used sqlite3, postgresql, and xml on various machines (Windows 7,
Ubuntu, FreeBSD).  Windows 7 (with extended service for malware) does
fine with xml, but I have not had a problem with the sql backends.
sqlite was easier to set up as a backend than postgres, but postgres
(from other uses as a db) is probably the most powerful db you can use
as a backend.  But for gnucash, it's probably overkill.  Postgres is
also more complicated, and I haven't needed anything more than sqlite,
which is less complicated, handled well by most modern OS's, and just
seems to work.  But I'm guessing Postgres can do things with queries,
reporting and data manipulation that sqlite cannot.  If you do that
sort of thing, use Postgres.

Haven't gotten to Windows 10 or the latest Mac OS yet.  That's just a
matter of time, though.  Older versions of Ubuntu (16 and under)
seemed to have hiccups with the sql backend, so I suggest trying xml
when the OS is older.  My .xml file is probably getting too large
(about 65 megs) so at some point a sql backend will be necessary.  I
can say the xml files have usually (in my experience) taken
considerably longer to load and save, but that is expected.

If you go from gnucash 2 to 3, save several different versions if you
can (gnucash 2 gives you xml, mysql, sqlite3, postgres for "save as").
Or just do that on occasion anyway in addition to regular backups.

If Windows 10 isn't stable, then find some kind of install that is.
You probably need Windows for a lot of things, but try running a
virtualbox vm with Ubuntu or Windows 7 for gnucash.  You could boot
into Ubuntu and use Windows 10 as a virtual guest (that's what I do
most o the time, and it works quite well).  But as the other replies
point out, you need to fix the "hiccuping" sooner rather than later.
My guess is that Windows 10 (like just about all of the earlier
Windows releases) is fixable, but Microsoft takes it time doing that.

Gordon