[GNC] Cash Flow with Split Transaction

Matthew Clay mpclay at gmail.com
Sat May 16 16:43:07 EDT 2020

Gnucash Community,

I have a question about the "Cash Flow" report. When I set up a simple
paycheck with splits for taxes and net pay, why is it that when I run
a "Cash Flow" report on my checking account the entirety of the split
transaction is reflected in the report?

For example, for a $100 paycheck with $10 going to taxes and $90 going
to my checking account, the "Cash Flow" report looks like:

---
Selected Account
* Assets

Money into selected accounts comes from
Income:Salary $100

Money out of selected accounts goes to
Expenses:Taxes $10

Difference
$90.00
---

While the net pay ("Difference") is correct, it's not like the taxes I
pay "flow into and out of" my checking account --- the account never
sees anything more than the net deposit.

Is it possible to set the "Cash Flow" report to only show what
actually "flows" into and out of a selected account(s) with split
transactions, or is it on the user to mentally keep track of this?
Maybe there is another kind of report that can do this? Thank you for
your time and help.

Sincerely,
Matthew Clay