[GNC] Cash Flow with Split Transaction

Robin Chattopadhyay robinraymn at gmail.com
Sun May 17 17:48:45 EDT 2020

I solve for this problem by using a suspense account.

Set up an asset account. On each payday, record your gross pay  as a debit,
all of your various taxes, with holdings, etc. as credits, with one or more
final credit(s) to the suspense account to cover your net pay.

You can now run a cash flow report for your checking account that only
shows the net pay into your checking account.

You can also run a cash flow report for the suspense account and compare
that to your pay stub. (If you’re in the US, you can also compare your
calendar year report to your W-2)

I’ve had a lot of success with this method. I have several such suspense
accounts for non-cash transactions like this.

On Sat, May 16, 2020 at 3:44 PM Matthew Clay <mpclay at gmail.com> wrote:

> Gnucash Community,
>
> I have a question about the "Cash Flow" report. When I set up a simple
> paycheck with splits for taxes and net pay, why is it that when I run
> a "Cash Flow" report on my checking account the entirety of the split
> transaction is reflected in the report?
>
> For example, for a $100 paycheck with $10 going to taxes and $90 going
> to my checking account, the "Cash Flow" report looks like:
>
> ---
> Selected Account
> * Assets
>
> Money into selected accounts comes from
> Income:Salary $100
>
> Money out of selected accounts goes to
> Expenses:Taxes $10
>
> Difference
> $90.00
> ---
>
> While the net pay ("Difference") is correct, it's not like the taxes I
> pay "flow into and out of" my checking account --- the account never
> sees anything more than the net deposit.
>
> Is it possible to set the "Cash Flow" report to only show what
> actually "flows" into and out of a selected account(s) with split
> transactions, or is it on the user to mentally keep track of this?
> Maybe there is another kind of report that can do this? Thank you for
> your time and help.
>
> Sincerely,
> Matthew Clay

--- Typed with my thumbs and sent from my iPad.