[GNC] Is there a better way enter multi-currency split transaction?

davygc davyroid at gmail.com
Sun May 17 19:29:15 EDT 2020

Just want to share what I will do as I don't think there will be a solution
soon.

I will create a sub-account for each currency under all my income and
expense accounts. Foreign income/expenses will be transferred to respective
currency. At the end of each month, I will then transfer all foreign
income/expense to home currency. This way, I can still use the memorized
transaction, I just have to key in the amount twice and it is easier to spot
the error (typo will create imbalance entry).

Without converting the income/expense account to home currency, I noticed
the annual total of the multi-column P/L report won't match the sum the
individual months due to the fluctuation in exchange rates.

Anyway, I have submitted a feature request. If memorized transaction can add
some extra logic to ignore dummy split with 0 qty and treat it as a normal
debit/credit transaction, everything will be perfect. Hope
someone can look into it.

Feature request:
https://gnucash.uservoice.com/forums/101223-feature-request/suggestions/40444765-ignore-dummy-split-in-memorized-transaction-for-pr