[GNC] adjusting sizes

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Sun May 17 22:09:51 EDT 2020

Just to add to this discussion, Register column width settings are also
'per user' which means that they assume that they are on a single display
attached to a single computer.  When or if you try to migrate user settings
(which also include custom report settings and a few other things, for
example font settings) to a different computer or to use a different
display with higher screen resolution you will then probably want to reset
widths again.  Fortunately, once we have them adequately working, we don't
really need to fiddle with them much, but we do have to remember that if we
make a change that we want to 'stick', we need to not only explicitly save
the data file, but, in addition, we must close the GnuCash program and
restart it.

This is an artifact of the fact that the code that controls the register
windows was originally written literally decades ago and only superficially
modified since.  The code may be reviewed again sometime, but not very soon.

David Carlson

On Sun, May 17, 2020 at 8:26 PM Adrien Monteleone <
adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net> wrote:

> These adjustments are also ‘per register’ if I recall correctly. So you
> can set different widths depending on the account you are viewing. But that
> also means if you want to change a column width for every account, you have
> to do so *for every account*.
>
> Regards,
> Adrien
>
> > On May 17, 2020 w21d138, at 4:11 PM, David H <hellvee at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Marie,
> >
> > Welcome to gnucash.  "Description" column automatically expands to fill
> > available remaining space so double click headers of ALL OTHER COLUMNS
> > individually to set them to reasonable widths and see how you go. You can
> > also click and hold right hand side column divider to adjust column width
> > if you don't like the default width.  If you just try adjusting
> Description
> > column it will just spring back to where it was usually.
> >
> > Cheers David H.
> >

> > On Sun, 17 May 2020 at 20:08, Marie Ybarra <marie.ybarra03 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> I am a 1st time user. Excited about this pgm. Thank you so much for
> >> providing it.
> >> I am trying to adjust visual sizes of fields on the check register
> display.
> >> I can move the size but it won't stay to adjusted width. Please advise.
> >> Marie

David Carlson