[GNC] Anyone using GnuCash to account for US PPP or EIDL funds?

doncram doncram at gmail.com
Sat May 23 14:47:25 EDT 2020

This is exactly where Job Costing would be of direct assistance.   Job
costing is now partially implemented in GnuCash (at least you can define
jobs and you can attach them to any specific expenses).  Please see a new
thread on Job Costing soon.
For either a for-profit or a non-profit 501c3, what you want to do is
define a new Customer (the U.S. government, I guess) and Job for that
customer (the specific PPP or EIDL grant), maybe call it Job-PPP2020May.
When the funds come in, record the receipt in a grants revenue account with
designation of that job.  As you spend the funds, just use your regular
expense accounts that reflect the kind of work you do (e.g. labor, rent,
utilities, materials, whatever) but attach the job code.  At any time, you
should be able to run an Income Statement By Jobs report which, in its
first data column is a regular overall Income Statement, and which uses
following columns for each job.  So you can see explicitly which revenues
came in for the job and what specifically you spend for it.
That would be easy and clear, if GnuCash can now provide the relevant
reporting (see other thread).
Does this make sense to you?
I am, by the way, using job costing this way for the books of a 501c3
nonprofit for exactly this purpose.
sincerely
Don Cram