[GNC] Fwd: Wrong running balances in reports

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Thu May 28 10:10:59 EDT 2020

Hi,

On Thu, May 28, 2020 10:05 am, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Finfort <finfort at gmail.com> writes:
>

>>  Yes I understand. And I have to open this in something like Excel and
>> recalculate it.
>>
>> What is the problem to do this in GNC after
>>

>>  changing of sort order?
>
> GnuCash does not present a running balance in any sort order; the
> balance is 100% based on the default sort order.  When you enter a
> transaction it computes the balance, and that balance is stored with the
> transaction split.  If you use a different sort order, the balances are
> NOT recomputed, the stored balance is displayed along with the split.

One more thing I forgot to add -- You can view partial registers and when
you do that, if balances were recomputed, you'd NOT have a complete
picture of what's going on.  GnuCash would be showing you INCORRECT data
if it recomputed the balance when you hide transactions.  That's a worse
outcome, because you might not even know that you're not seeing all your
transactions.

Case in point:  View -> Filter By... -> Status
  Then turn off, e.g., reconciled transactions.

If the balance were recomputed now, you'd be in BIG TROUBLE.

> This is not a bug; this is just how GnuCash works.  I.e., it is working
> as designed.

So, this statement remains true.

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745