[GNC] Your Classification / Tagging Implementation

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sat Nov 7 23:04:33 EST 2020

Assets are things that you own, including balances at a bank account. Liabilities are things that you owe, including mortgages and credit cards. Equity is the difference between the two, including income and expense. Debit means the left column and credit means the right column. Assets increase with debits and Liabilities and Equity increase with credit.

For every transaction the sums of the two columns have to be the same. I'll leave it as an exercise for you to work out examples of income->asset (getting paid), asset->expense (buying groceries with your debit card), liability->expense (buying something from Amazon with your credit card), and asset->liability (paying your credit card bill from your bank account).

One last point: Your banks account balance is an asset to you and a liability to the bank, which is why your bank statement shows the balance increasing with credit: The statement is from the bank's point of view.

There's a Free alternative to GnuCash for users who don't want to deal with the complexity and rigor of real accounting: KMyMoney.

Regards,
John Ralls