[GNC] Annoying Register Issue

Greg Feneis mfeneis at gmail.com
Sat Nov 14 18:18:31 EST 2020

The insert key should do something when it's pressed.  To save space, it's
often combined with other lesser used keys and requires an extra key press
(prior or simultaneous) to activate it.  Often, simply pressing the key
that says ins on it won't do anything.  The insert/typeover mode still
exists.  If a computer's keyboard doesn't control it, that might be a point
of concern.

To test for control of the insert/typeover status, typically the user can
open a text editor or terminal interface and watch the cursor while
toggling typeover vs insert modes.  EG on Win 10, the cursor in the command
prompt changes shape when switching from typeover to insert mode.  EG In my
Linux VM, when I open LibreOffice Writer and toggle between typeover and
insert mode, I see an indication change at the bottom of the Writer
window.

Kind regards,

Greg Feneis