[GNC] List Replies

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Mon Nov 16 08:47:50 EST 2020

Greg,

On Mon, November 16, 2020 8:33 am, Greg Feneis wrote:
> That seems like an unnecessary dichotomy.  Perhaps it's a limitation of
> mailman, or our ability to administer?  On the other list I belong to that
> server causes either reply type to default to only the list server without
> obscuring the originator's address.

You just stated the issue: "that server causes either reply type to
default to ONLY the list server" (emphasis mine).  THAT is the issue.  We
DO NOT WANT that behavior.  We WANT people to be able to reply privately
to people.  Making private replies challenging is just a non-starter.

Please go read the archives for the last dozen threads on this topic.

Thanks,

-derek

> Kind regards, Greg Feneis
> (Pixel 3)
>

> On Mon, Nov 16, 2020, 05:20 Derek Atkins <derek at ihtfp.com> wrote:
>
>> Greg,
>>
>> This topic comes up about once a year or so, usually closer to Spring as
>> people start working on their taxes and asking for help.
>>
>> In short, yes, mailman COULD be set up to set the Reply-To the list.
>> The
>> downside of that approach is that it makes it MUCH MUCH harder (nearly
>> impossible) to make an off-list (private) reply.  The decision, which
>> has
>> been made over and over again over the past 20 years, is that making it
>> POSSIBLE to make a private reply is more important than making it always
>> reply-to-list.
>>
>> This is why every message has a note to remind people to Reply-All.
>>
>> -derek
>>
>> On Mon, November 16, 2020 8:06 am, Greg Feneis wrote:
>> > Hi friends,
>> >
>> > A frequent encounter on this list is members replying to an email's
>> > originator and not to the list server.
>> >
>> > In the grand scheme, not a big deal. However, other lists I belong to
>> > don't
>> > seem to have this issue.  I'm wondering if a list server setting could
>> > help.
>> >
>> > For this other list I belong to, when I receive an email, it appears
>> > come from the originator's name and email address.  But, no matter if
>> > use
>> > reply, or reply-all, the initial email composition only ever begins
>> with
>> > the list server as the only recipient.
>> >
>> > I imagine this feature has to do with the construction of the email
>> > messages being sent from the server to the list members.
>> >
>> > Could our mailman server be set to do the same thing?🤔
>> >
>> > Kind regards, Greg Feneis
>> > (Pixel 3)
>> > If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see
>> > https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
>> > -----
>> >

>> --
>>        Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745
>>        derek at ihtfp.com             www.ihtfp.com
>>        Computer and Internet Security Consultant

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745