[GNC] List Replies

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Tue Nov 17 04:39:53 EST 2020

On Mon, Nov 16, 2020 at 09:22:43PM -0500, Jean-David Beyer via gnucash-user wrote:
> On 11/16/20 7:22 PM, Greg Feneis wrote:
> > If it's been the way it is for several years, it might be time to try a
> > change.  Perhaps people are more email savvy these days?
>
> I very much doubt it. Most of my e-mail friends have dropped their
> land-lines and use, exclusively, their cell phones. They also send text
> messages or Facebook messages instead of e-mails.In fact, the younger ones
> do not even use Facebook anymore.

None of the above is particularly relevant to a discussion about how a
(fairly) technical E-Mail list is configured surely.  If someone uses
software and wants support then they use the means provided for
support and, in the main, that means E-Mail lists.  Most support
E-Mail lists use similar netiquette too:-

    Don't top post (i.e. reply below questions)

    Don't use HTML

    Trim replies to provide context but no more

This list isn't so techie that the above things are strictly enforced
but I still think they're a good idea.

As regards the original question about how the list works with 'Reply'
and 'Reply All' I don't have a strong opinion because my mail program
has a third reply type called 'List Reply' which sorts things out for
me however a mailing list is configured.

--
Chris Green