[GNC] Wrong starting balance

Stephen M. Butler kg7je at arrl.net
Fri Nov 20 20:58:38 EST 2020

On 11/20/20 4:49 PM, Liz wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Nov 2020 16:41:22 -0800
> Jim DeLaHunt <list+gnucash at jdlh.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello, Liz:
>>
>> Are any of the transactions in that account reconciled? Do you have a
>> "starting balance" transaction in that account, perhaps created when
>> you created the account?
>>
>> The reconciliation model for GnuCash assumes that you start by
>> reconciling the earliest transactions, and move forward sequentially
>> in time, reconciling bit by bit.  When you start a reconciliation,
>> GnuCash adds up all the reconciled transactions for that account,
>> regardless of date, and that becomes your starting balance.
>>
>> Does this help?
>>
>> Best regards,
>>         —Jim DeLaHunt
>
> No Jim
>
> I know perfectly well how reconcile works.
> I have not reconciled this account ever.
> NO transactions are reconciled
> The starting balance is $1.87
>
> I am mystified about $6,300, so I did a find for that value on the
> entire account tree and found nothing of that value.
>
> Liz
> _

Try to reconcile another account that has never been reconciled.  If
that comes up with a non-zero number then create a new account and
attempt to reconcile with no entries.  If that comes up with a non-zero
amount then you have found a bug.

What I'm wondering is if there are no entries to add up the module might
not be handling the results correctly.

--
Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
Stephen.M.Butler51 at gmail.com