[GNC] Wrong starting balance

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 21:26:25 EST 2020

I think that reconcile flags, especially the 'Y' flag indicating that the
transaction split line passed the reconcile assistant, should be cancelled
if the account name in that split line is changed. I have noticed some
suspicious anomalies in this regard in the past, but I did not perform a
rigorous test and create a bug report.  If this is the case for Liz, please
create a bug report.

On Fri, Nov 20, 2020 at 8:00 PM Stephen M. Butler <kg7je at arrl.net> wrote:

> On 11/20/20 4:49 PM, Liz wrote:
> > On Fri, 20 Nov 2020 16:41:22 -0800
> > Jim DeLaHunt <list+gnucash at jdlh.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hello, Liz:
> >>
> >> Are any of the transactions in that account reconciled? Do you have a
> >> "starting balance" transaction in that account, perhaps created when
> >> you created the account?
> >>
> >> The reconciliation model for GnuCash assumes that you start by
> >> reconciling the earliest transactions, and move forward sequentially
> >> in time, reconciling bit by bit.  When you start a reconciliation,
> >> GnuCash adds up all the reconciled transactions for that account,
> >> regardless of date, and that becomes your starting balance.
> >>
> >> Does this help?
> >>
> >> Best regards,
> >>         —Jim DeLaHunt
> >
> > No Jim
> >
> > I know perfectly well how reconcile works.
> > I have not reconciled this account ever.
> > NO transactions are reconciled
> > The starting balance is $1.87
> >
> > I am mystified about $6,300, so I did a find for that value on the
> > entire account tree and found nothing of that value.
> >
> > Liz
> > _
>
> Try to reconcile another account that has never been reconciled.  If
> that comes up with a non-zero number then create a new account and
> attempt to reconcile with no entries.  If that comes up with a non-zero
> amount then you have found a bug.
>
> What I'm wondering is if there are no entries to add up the module might
> not be handling the results correctly.
>
> --
> Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
> Stephen.M.Butler51 at gmail.com