[GNC] Wrong starting balance

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 23:09:30 EST 2020

As I started to suggest in my previous email, if a given split line
contains a 'Y' reconcile status, that implies that the transaction split
line passed a reconciliation process for that account on a certain date
recorded within the data file, but not visible to users.  If the account
name or it's representation in the data file changes in that split line, or
if the transaction date changes as associated with that split line, then
the 'Y' status should be revoked.  It would make sense to warn the user and
ask her or him to confirm the action.
I believe that I have seen this flag remain set after changing an account
name in older instances of GnuCash, but right now I do not have a working
instance of release 4.2 at my disposal to test.  Since it may make a
difference if the account associated to the split line is the 'home'
account or not from which the edit is initiated, this should also be tested.

There has been discussion in the past about whether any other aspects of a
complete multi-line transaction should also be considered to be handled
this way, and that discussion should be given consideration as well.

On Fri, Nov 20, 2020 at 8:41 PM D. via gnucash-user <
gnucash-user at gnucash.org> wrote:

> Not sure what the bug would be. You reconciled the transaction and then
> moved it. Should gnucash de-reconcile the entry? Personally, I don't really
> know; arguments could be made either way.
>
> One point to realize (and that others hinted at) is that the starting
> balance for the reconcile window is calculated by tallying *every* entry
> that is marked as reconciled-- regardless of the date of that entry. So, if
> you had an account opened in 2014, added reconciled transactions for 2020,
> and then asked to reconcile January 2014, the starting balance would
> include the reconciled 2020 transactions.  This is strange, but known,
> behavior of the reconcile functions in GnuCash.
>
> David T.

David Carlson