[GNC] Stock Levels

doncram doncram at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 20:16:57 EDT 2020

A bit unfair i think.  I was referring to GnuCash + a spreadsheet, not just
GnuCash.  It takes some words to explicitly state how inventory accounting
works anywhere, especially if mentioning alternative approaches.  And I am
trying to put forward a workable solution for a potential GnuCash user
rather than pushing them away.

But i did try Quickbooks Desktop Pro for how they do inventory, and I still
pretty much dislike it though I just had a tiny bit more success.  Seems
one can change incoming and outgoing prices of an inventory item at any
time, then the new price(s) stick.  The software apparently applies average
costing to reprice all items currently in inventory immediately upon
purchase of any new item at a different price.  I think that's not actually
an option taught in accounting courses/textbooks so maybe it is not
strictly legit;  in textbooks I think average costing is applied only at
the end of an accounting period in valuing ending inventory and
transactions during the period. The Quickbooks help system says go buy or
subscribe to higher level Desktop Pro Enterprise if you want to apply
FIFO.  I think LIFO (also to be done at end of month) and Specific
Identification are not supported at all in Q, while I think they could be
done straightforwardly in a spreadsheet.

Don