[GNC] how to track home equity with mortgage loan Gnucash 4.2

pyz01 at cox.net pyz01 at cox.net
Sun Oct 11 17:00:32 EDT 2020

Nathan --  I think you might be overthinking it a little.  Here is a neat
trick that may help --  Here is what I did:

My Home - Property (Equity)  ---- main account  -- no entries
  Property value (subaccount)  --- only periodic entries when I want to
evaluate value of the property (adjust up or down)
  Mortgage Loan (subaccount)  -- entries are the mortgage split entries that
I split between account I pay from (increase) and the principle decrease
(this account) and the interest expense -decrease

At any point in time -- the "My home properties (Equity) account shows the
equity in the property.  The property sub account shows the values as of the
last time I updated the value.  And the mortgage loan shows the outstanding
principle balance on the loan.

Easy -peasy -- and I'm letting Gnucash do the math for me!

Hope that helps.

Ken