[GNC] Issues with Balance Sheet report in 4.2

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Sun Oct 11 22:09:04 EDT 2020

On 10/11/2020 7:13 PM, mike823 wrote:
> I definitely do not understand what you are trying to say.
>
> - Are talking about  "Balance Sheet (eguile)" report or  "Balance Sheet"?
> - You are using "nesting" term in context of report options but there is no
> such option.
> - "CoA" is an acronim for what ?
>
> The issues I have mentioned are present on default report options,
> absolutely nothing customized.

a) CoA    The "Chart of Accounts"

b) Look, a "Balance Sheet" report is ALWAYS as of some specified date.
So when you say present on default option, nothing customized, you mean
you are only considering the report as of the default date "real time
date when run". In other words, you shouldn't consider things like
saying what actual date you want a "customization". There are other
choices, like whether you want to see zero balance accounts, what
subtotals you want, etc.

    In order for gnucash to (initially) produce the report to give you a
chance to specify those things it has to use SOME choice. In this case
"default" doesn't mean the choices you or anybody else would want in the
actual report. The :effective date" is an obvious example. In the case
of nesting levels, three was a reasonable MINIMUM value for nesting
levels. Again, not "customizing" to increase that to what makes sense
for YOUR CoA.

You didn't see where you specify nesting levels Report=>Options, under
the Accounts tab "levels of sub accounts"   The number you choose for
that is the nesting level (how many levels of nesting).  The CoA has a
"tree" structure and the depth of a tree is its nesting level.

Michael D Novack