[GNC] Entry point not found

David H hellvee at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 16:34:57 EDT 2020

Hi Mervyn,

I'm guessing you're on Windows judging by the "Program Files(x86)" - is it
Win 7 or 10 ?

What version of Gnucash were you running before this started happening and
what version are you trying to upgrade to?

If you google "procedure entry point inflateValidate could not be located
in the dynamic link library C:\Program Files
(x86)\gnucash\bin\libpng16-16.dll" you'll see there are a few results from
2018/2019 which seem to point to issues with version 3.3 & 3.4 on Win 7.

If you look at
https://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2018-June/077629.html (or
http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/GNC-inflatevalidate-td4701002.html if
you prefer Nabble) the solution was to manually uninstall the currently
installed version and then install the new version. Then the user had to
use File >> Open in the newly installed version to re-open their Gnucash
data file.

See the following snippet....

>*    I just re-installed Windows 10 on a Dell Inspiron 560 computer. When I
*>*    re-setup GnuCash 3.1 and tried to open the program, I got the following
*>*    error message:
*>*    The procedure entry point inflateValidate could not be located in the
*>*    dynamic link library C:\Program Files (x86)\gnucash\bin\libpng16-16.dll
*>>*    What do I do now?
*>*    Since I sent the above message to you, I found on the Internet a
*>*    suggestion to delete GnuCash from the Program Files(x86) and Uninstall
*>*    it from the Control Panel. I did that and then re-installed version
*>*    3.1. Now the program seems to open just fine (no error message), but it
*>*    has no data! How can I get my data back -- or can I?
*
Use File > Open and browse to wherever you saved your accounts file
when you first saved it (which will probably be called
something.gnucash) and open it.

Cheers David H.