[GNC] Best way to Auto Sync GC Checking Transactions with the Bank?

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Sat Oct 17 19:58:13 EDT 2020

The Help/Guide and probably the wiki (as well as various threads in this
list) will provide more insight into how the Import Matcher works, along
with tips and tricks to use it most effectively.

My first question would be, "What is the reason for doing this daily?
What advantage over larger periods does this level of effort give you?"

I ask, because my first recommendation would be to do so less
frequently, maybe even weekly at the most, but monthly would be a most
likely target. What you appear to be doing is essentially reconciliation
and that is traditionally (though it doesn't have to be) a monthly
procedure.

I don't download bank transactions or use the import matcher myself, but
after reading many, many threads here on the various nuances, I'd think
the matcher *should* recognize 'amount', 'date', and 'description' and
flag those qualifying transactions as potential duplicates. You get to
decide before completing the import if they really are duplicates. If
you leave them marked as such, if I recall correctly, GnuCash will
change the flag in the "r" column from 'n' to 'c'—meaning the
transaction has cleared the bank. When you do a formal reconciliation of
the account with a periodic bank statement, those marked 'c' will be
pre-checked for you. You would only need to verify and check off the
remaining transactions in the reconcile window.

The date that your bank shows for the transaction may not be the same
date as the real-world transaction. (the real date *should* be what you
have entered in GnuCash) I think the matcher is smart enough to flag
those for a closer look if the other key data matches.

For transactions that don't qualify as true duplicates (thus needing to
just be 'cleared') they will be imported as new with the 'c' flag
already set.

My second question is, "Why are you doing the comparison manually
outside of GnuCash when GnuCash has built-in methods of helping you find
those duplicates?"

If you still really need to do a comparison outside the matcher, yes,
there are ways to script it, to a point. But I caution that approach
because it will be a bit of work to set up and my suspicion is you'll
find most of that effort will be duplicating what GnuCash is already
capable of.

Regards,
Adrien