[GNC] Best way to Auto Sync GC Checking Transactions with the Bank?

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Sun Oct 18 15:32:23 EDT 2020

On 10/18/20 12:51 PM, Fran_3 via gnucash-user wrote:
>   David, thanks for the comments.
> I'm going to experiment more with the import matcher.
> I have discovered this time saving tip... we can...
>
> - Log on to our bank, drag the mouse over the transactions, and copy into the paste buffer
> - Then paste them directly into a Google Sheet...- Thus avoiding the downloading and importing a CSV file.

Why *not* download the CSV? That saves many, many clicks and drags. You
just open it in Google Sheets and the data is all there.

> Ditto for GnuCash Checking if we bring it up in a Transaction Report
> And, as I mentioned to Adrien, I have created an App Script to help me compare the Bank Transactions to the GnuCash TransactionsThe process...- Sort the Bank Transactions by Amount and then by date- Ditto for the GnuCash Transactions
> - Put both Bank & GnuCash transactions on the same sheet- Drag the Amount Columns of each so they are side by side- Insert a column between the two Amount Columns- Create a spreadsheet formula to put an "X" in the column if the amounts don't match- Copy that formula all the way down to the last row- Now you can see where inconsistencies occurIt gets tricky now however so this is where I wrote an App Script to copy either the Bank Transactions or the GC Transactions starting with the inconsistency... and move them down a row... and then re-run the matching formula.
> Normally, too much work... but in one case where I just rechecked the reconciliation of 3-years worth of transactions... it was helpful.
> There are other, maybe easier ways to do this I'm sure.

You *could* script a comparison with the transactions exported from GC.
I think there is now also a command-line interface that might be able to
grab the data. Look into something called PieCash. (not sure of
spelling) It was created as a Python interface to the GnuCash data file.
(for reading only, always 'edit' or 'create' transactions using GnuCash
itself)

Also look into OFX from your bank. You can set up GnuCash to connect to
the bank and grab the transactions directly. (But I'd stand by my
recommendation to improve purchasing procedures and if at all possible
get receipts for everything so you can enter them and then the bank
procedure will be for clearing only)

Regards,
Adrien