[GNC] Column Width Saving?

David H hellvee at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 19:07:48 EDT 2020

Does the same on Win 10 - X'ing out of Gnucash or using File >> Quit saves
the prefs correctly.

Doing a save as to a different file name saves the prefs in C:\Users\<<your
user name>>\AppData\Roaming\GnuCash\books under the NEW FILE NAME - this
probably unsets the flag to say the prefs have changed so when you come
back and save the file again under the original file name it doesn't try to
save the prefs there as well.  Have a look in your  C:\Users\<<your user
name>>\AppData\Roaming\GnuCash\books folder - you'll probably have a
gnucash.gcm file there from your last save as backup file details ???

If I were you I would change my workflow and save under the real file name
and quit Gnucash which will save your prefs for the real file and then copy
the gnucash data file to your backup location and your problem should go
away :-)  You should look at backing up your preferences and saved reports
as well so it makes more sense to have a separate backup strategy which
copies these files to your backup location - see wiki for what files to
back up at
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Q:_How_do_I_backup_my_GC_environment.2C_including_preferences.3F

There are programs out there to copy files to backup locations at the press
of a button or when they detect changes or on a schedule - I use FreeFile
Sync, but there's others like Rsync, Syncthing - so you might want to take
a look at those.

Cheers David H.