[GNC] Customising "Action" in Register

Frank H. Ellenberger frank.h.ellenberger at gmail.com
Sun Oct 25 07:45:17 EDT 2020

Hi Liz,

Am 25.10.20 um 10:30 schrieb Liz:
> This is not the Action menu, this is the "Action" seen in the column
> with the number, when Double Line view is selected.
>
> In a bank account, there is a drop down list which goes from "ATM
> Deposit" to "Withdraw".
>
> I can override and put in Australianised categories, but how can I
> influence the drop down list?
>
> Liz

Let me start with the bad news:
They are hard coded in
gnucash/register/ledger-core/split-register.c:2624 and
gnucash/gnome-utils/gnc-tree-model-split-reg.c:2890

The good news: They are marked translatable. So, in theory we can create
an en_AU.po to get it Australianised.

But before the question arizes is the difference between "the greatest
nation" and the rest of the (English speaking) world or really specific
to Australia?

See https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Locale_Settings for switching the
language. Then compare the british translation with the US messages. For
the action field I see "cheque" vs. "check".

Perhaps Aussies should in general set LANGUAGE=en_AU:en_GB in their
environment.
Then messages are searched in this order:
1. en_AU
2. en_GB
3. en_US

The last partial update of en_GB.po was in 2017. Perhaps that file needs
a review?

If an en_AU.po is really desired, you could copy en_GB.po to en_AU.po
and adjust it.

Such overlays need only the messages, which differ. More details in
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Translation.

Regards
Frank