[GNC] Managing UK Gift-Aid

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Sat Oct 31 17:46:57 EDT 2020

> What you can claim
> Your GASDS claim cannot be more than 10 times your Gift Aid claim. For example, you can claim on £1,000 worth of donations through GASDS if you’ve received £100 of Gift Aid donations in the same tax year.
>
> You can claim on donations that are eligible for Gift Aid, but not membership fees.
> </quote>

Just curious about that, whether it applies to "churches".

In other words, I do understand what that exclusion is all about
(because of your "sports clubs", etc. but wonder whether it also applies
to those religions that traditionally/customarily have "membership"
dues/fees.

We have a similar rule here BUT for the reason that we don't have an
established/favored religion and that is enshrined in the Constitution
that rule does NOT apply to religious organizations. The IRS wording
"but not if that membership only involves non-material/spiritual benefits"

The curiosity mainly because many of the UK groups asking are churches.

Michael D Novack