[GNC] Managing UK Gift-Aid

Edward Bainton bainton.ete at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 10:29:17 EDT 2020

I'm also a charity treasurer in the UK (tho I think officially I'm called
the secretary...). I'm on this list because I'd love to be able to use GC
for the charity finances, but the Gift Aid thing is a significant hurdle to
clear.

First, the church collections: it sounds as if you could possibly simplify
by using the Small Donations Scheme
<https://www.gov.uk/claim-gift-aid/small-donations-scheme>, designed for
exactly that situation. Assuming no one puts in more than GBP30 in the
plate unenveloped, you can get GA on *all* donations in the plate, even if
the donor is unknown (as they will be) or some are known not to pay tax.
You only need an enveloped, personally identifiable donation if a
parishioner wants to donate more than GBP30 cash into the plate. I don't
know where your parish is, but I'm guessing unless it's Mayfair the modal
donation amount is well under 30 quid? Larger donors can be encouraged to
use a s/o (and will probably want to put a token amount of cash in the
plate, too).

Second, Rotary dinners: this is another case where, if it's applicable, the
Small Donations Scheme may make things easier. But if it's _*not_ *applicable
(and the money may be seen as a waiver rather than a donation, which is not
eligible for GA), I worry that even if you have GA declarations from every
member present at the dinner, you may not be able to claim GA - because it
won't be clear how much each member has donated. Unless you can rely on
every diner owing the same, every diner having signed a GA declaration, and
every diner contributing the same amount more than their dues when it comes
to settling the bill?

The extra headaches I'd love people's thoughts on are these:

How do you deal with a GA declaration 3 years (say) after the donation,
which says "I want the charity to treat all my donations in the past 4
years as Gift Aid"?

And once you introduce that level of complexity, how can you be absolutely
sure you're claiming every GA donation once, and once only?

The only way I can manage is with a spreadsheet, which details the date of
declaration and the effective date (by default, date of signature minus 4
years). Excel's hopeless at dates, but you can just about bludgeon it into
filtering out all donations by J. Bloggs that are GA-able, versus his
donations that are not. I haven't got this far, but I assume another field
against the donation for 'GA claimed no / GA claimed dd mm yy' would
prevent double-counting?

By the by, I suspect this is why there are so many proprietary donation
gateways that will take care of this for you - though how well they do
that, I don't know. (I just know PayPal is a nightmare.) And of course they
can't do the cash.

Edward