[GNC] Asset accounts: cost, or value?

Marcus Winston marcus at thechocolatehouse.net
Wed Sep 2 11:14:29 EDT 2020

Well, yes, it isn't necessarily a gnucash question. But pen and ink are
a bit cumbersome, and so I use gnucash.

Let me illustrate, perhaps it will help to identify whether I'm
fundamentally doing it wrong, or just have the wrong accounts.

In the assets:fixed assets:house account, I have (I'm making up numbers
to make things simple):

purchase price of house: +$100,000, balance $100,000

costs to purchase: +$1000, balance $101,000

costs to sell: +$2000, balance $102,000

capital gains: $20,000, balance $122,000

What I'm attempting to do is see the cost or value of the house (or,
that's what I thought it would do) in the assets:fixed assets:house
account.  The purchase price is, of course, fine. The costs to purchase
add to the basis, which is what I want to do in order to easily
see/calculate (eventually) capital gains (for tax-related purposes). I
add the selling costs before capital gains because, when I add the
capital gains, then I get to the actual selling price of the house,
which is convenient. It might be wrong from an accounting perspective,
but I'm just a "regular person", not an accountant. I'm trying to figure
out how to use GnuCash to track all this stuff.  What I see in the other
accounts tells me I am probably doing it wrong. The "costs to purchase"
account is an expense. But that account has a -$1000 balance, and the
"costs to sell" account (also under Expenses) has a -$2000 balance. The
capital gains is the only thing that's right, because that's an income
account.

The fundamental question is, should I be trying to use the assets:fixed
assets:house account to track this stuff? What I see in there has me
thinking that account tracks my actual costs, but when I add the capital
gains, it appears to reflect the value of the house, not the cost.
Hence, my original question: is the "house" account intended to track
the value, or the cost, of the house?

MW