[GNC] Using the advanced portfolio report for mutual fund income

Alister Briggs alister58 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 01:02:55 EDT 2020

Can anybody help me work around a problem using the Advanced Portfolio
Report to report income on mutual funds where a single payment is made
for multiple funds? The Advanced Portfolio report requires atransaction
split to include a dummy transaction of zero value as shown below:

Scenario 1 - A single distribution payment per fund

Direct Credit CFS Distribution

100

100

Assets: Bank: CBA

100

Income: Mutual Funds: CFS: Fund1

100

Assets: Investments: Fund managers: CFS: Fund1

0

0

In this situation the Advanced Portfolio Report correctly reports the
income for Fund1 as $100.

Where more than one fund is paid the split becomes more complicated:

Scenario 2 - A single distribution payment for two funds

Direct Credit CFS Distribution

100

100

Assets: Bank: CBA

100

Income: Mutual Funds: CFS: Fund1

75

Assets: Investments: Fund managers: CFS: Fund1

0

0

Income: Mutual Funds: CFS: Fund2

25

Assets: Investments: Fund managers: CFS: Fund2

0

0

In this situation the Advanced Portfolio Report incorrectly reports the
income for both Fund1 and Fund2 as $100. How do I correct this so the
result for Fund1 is $75 and Fund2 is $25?

I am using GnuCash 4.1 on Windows 10 and fairly new user.

Thank you for your efforts

Alister