[GNC] Is there an 'easy' way to have a transaction with 'sub-transactions' as it were?

Michael Hendry hendry.michael at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 13:40:40 EDT 2020

> On 8 Sep 2020, at 16:42, Chris Green <cl at isbd.net> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Sep 09, 2020 at 01:15:00AM +1000, John Angelico wrote:
>> Chris, I would also recommend asking why the amounts are separated, because
>> there may be a reason for reporting the income lines separately. Then if
>> the reason no longer applies you may ask what reporting is now required.
>>
>> Some items need to be shown or accessible for statistics, for grant
>> applications or for statutory reporting. There could be any number of
>> reasons behind "we've always done it that way" :-).
>
> Yes, I will be asking at the next PCC meeting and will keep the
> separation until then at least.

I would suggest you create an account for cash in hand, such as Assets:Current Assets:Petty Cash.

You can then log the two different cash receipts as transfers from Income:Offertory —> Petty Cash and Income:Collection —> Petty Cash.

These will be dated for the Sunday the cash was received.

At some future date, you’ll transfer the whole (or part) of the Petty Cash into the bank account with a single pay-in slip:

Asssets:Current Assets:Petty Cash —> Assets:Current Assets:Your Bank.

It’s becoming increasingly awkward to pay coin in to banks as branches close, and I’d be inclined to accumulate a larger sum before paying it in.

Even if you don’t see the point of recording the sources of the cash separately, remember that it’ll be a lot easier to merge the two accounts when you find one will do than to split them up when you’ve been recording them as a single source.

You may not discover until the end-of-year that no-one at the PCC knew what was actually needed!

Regards,

Michael