[GNC] Short cuts for things

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Wed Sep 9 12:36:16 EDT 2020

On 9/9/20 7:07 AM, Chris Green wrote:
> Is there a quick way to:
>
>      Get to the 'Accounts' tab, in order to select the next account for
>      entering a transaction.

I could be wrong, but I don't think there is one built-in. You might be
able to set a custom accelerator for it. (see the wiki)

However, you can use Ctrl+Alt+PgUp/PgDn to cycle through open tabs.

(I find it odd that there isn't a built-in shortcut for the Accounts
tab, or one for simply opening an account via a pop-up search from anywhere)

If you are already on the Accounts tab, you can expand/collapse sections
of the tree with +/- and navigate with the up/down arrows. Pressing
Enter will open that register.

If you keep *all* of the tree expanded, you can simply start typing the
name of an account and GnuCash will search your tree for you, highlight
the account and then you can simply press Enter to open it.

>      'Enter' a transaction - i.e. a key to hit instead of having to
>      click on the + sign.

When you open a register, you should automatically be in a blank
transaction. (focus is on the date field)

If you were editing or focused on a previous (or future) transaction and
want to enter a new one, you can jump to the Blank Transaction via
Shift+PgDn.

There is also Preferences > Register > Actions > 'Enter' moves to blank
transaction if you like.

Regards,
Adrien