[GNC] I'm still a bit confused about when things get saved.

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Thu Sep 10 11:26:33 EDT 2020

Hi,

On Thu, September 10, 2020 11:18 am, R. Victor Klassen wrote:
> At least on the Mac, there’s no guarantee that it is physically written to
> disk immediately.  I’ve experienced a handful of posted and printed
> invoices disappearing due to a power outage.  Probably less likely to
> happen on a system with an SSD drive, as there’s not as much reason to
> wait to flush disk buffers to disk.  This would be an issue with the
> SQLite implementation, likely not in GnuCash directly.

Well, sure, GnuCash cannot control the OS's file system semantics.  And
indeed, in pretty much every modern OS there is a delay from when an
application "writes" something to the file system vs when the OS flushes
that file system out to the storage media (HDD or an SSD). There are some
was that applications can inform the OS that it it wants it written *now*
(e.g. flush the IO).  However, in a power outage, all bets are off.

Save Early, Save Often!

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745