[GNC] I'm still a bit confused about when things get saved.

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Fri Sep 11 04:01:14 EDT 2020

On Thu, Sep 10, 2020 at 07:25:33PM -0700, John Ralls wrote:
> Tried that with GnuCash? It isn't a macOS native app and probably doesn't
> benefit from those features. I'd go for the UPS, but since recent financial
> activity is generally pretty easy to recover and re-enter maybe the risk/payback
> works out differently for you.

I run incremental backups of all the important data one my system,
in particular I run hourly incremental backups of my 'home' directory
(I use Linux) and this contains just about everything of significance.

Thus I can never lose more than an hour's work and, if I want to go
back to an earlier situation it's easy.  Since they're incremental
backups if nothing changes then no extra space is consumed (except for
a little overhead).

Thus, on a separate drive, on my desktop system I have the following
backups:-
    day-2  day-4  day-6  hour-1   hour-2  hour-4  hour-6  hour-8 week-1  week-3  week-5
    day-1  day-3  day-5  day-7  hour-10  hour-3  hour-5  hour-7  hour-9  week-2  week-4

On a separate system, out in the garage well away from the house, I
have another 'layer' of incremental backups at longer intervals (day,
month, year) going back several years.

--
Chris Green