[GNC] Finance quote troubleshooting

Geoff cleanoutmyshed at gmail.com
Sat Sep 12 07:19:14 EDT 2020

OK Andreas, so this isn't really a GnuCash issue per se, and we seem to
have narrowed down the problem to one of Perl / Finance::Quote /
Alphavantage / Your computer.

The next steps are to independently verify the connection from your
computer to Alphavantage.

Step 1: Can you access their API documentation page?

https://www.alphavantage.co/documentation/

Step 2: Can you call their API using their *demo* API Key?

https://www.alphavantage.co/query?function=CURRENCY_EXCHANGE_RATE&from_currency=USD&to_currency=JPY&apikey=demo

Step 3: Can you call their API using *your* API Key?
Don't forget to append your actual API key to the URL:

https://www.alphavantage.co/query?function=CURRENCY_EXCHANGE_RATE&from_currency=GBP&to_currency=EUR&apikey==__Your_Actual_Key__

See attached screenshot.

If all of the above are working, my recommendation would be to uninstall
Perl and reinstall from scratch *or* (if you have Windows 10
Professional) you could use a Windows 10 Sandbox to do a clean
installation of both GnuCash and Perl to try and further isolate the
cause of the problem.

https://www.howtogeek.com/399290/how-to-use-windows-10s-new-sandbox-to-safely-test-apps/

Good luck!

Geoff
=====
P.S. What version of Windows do you have?
P.P.S.  What version of Strawberry Perl are you running?
perl -v