[GNC] New user - anyone else using GnuCash for PCC (church) accounts? Advice?

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Mon Sep 21 09:10:37 EDT 2020

On 9/20/2020 10:47 PM, doncram wrote:
> Just to say GnuCash could serve churches and other nonprofits much
> better if Job Costing were supported.  And relatedly, more churches
> and other nonprofits could use GnuCash if Job Costing were supported.
> Thank you Jacob Oomen for sharing the links to your extensive past
> work to help accountants for churches, including by linking to the
> Church of England's guidance about accounting for funds, i.e.

Being involved with numerous non-profits that have "membership" or
"tuition" another feature highly desired would be separation of
"invoicing" from accrual based accounting << membership is "at will", no
obligation to renew, so NOT "receivables" >>

I'm not treasurer of any of those, so not faced with the problem myself
so haven't fully defined a work around. PROBABLY if I had it as my job,
would use a second "virtual" set of books JUST for producing invoices.
Usually wanted are "unified member statements" showing "dues,
assessments" and pledges" << the last are technically "receivable" but
organizations rarely press for pledges --- and not all of a pledge
necessarily immediately receivable in any case >> This virtual set of
books would also produce some useful reports for the directors << for
example, amount of temple dues "abated" >> I have served on boards,
finance committee, etc. of such organizations and there are interesting
complications. For example, exactly who is paying abated dues, tuition,
etc is usually confidential, not even the board knowing.

Michael D Novack